Pensford Primary School

Pensford Primary School

Live and Learn Together
Sun Smiley face Smiley face
Life at Pensford Primary School Life at Pensford Primary School Life at Pensford Primary School Life at Pensford Primary School
“Pupils feel safe
at school and are kind
to one another. They like
being at school and appreciate
the many experiences
they have.” - Ofsted
Smiley face

PTA - Meeting notes 14th March 2017

  • Meeting: Tuesday 14 March @ 9.30am
  • Location: Pensford Primary School
  • Attendees: Lisa Cains, Kirsty Wickenden, Vic Spicer, Sarah Curtis
  • Invited Attendees: Warrick Barton (Headmaster), Elaine Davidson
  • Apologies: Tracy Jones

Previous minutes and action updates

Previous minutes were read and agreed, outstanding actions will be discussed within specific items.

Finances/Administration

Update: Nutty Noah proceeds were paid in. The profits from the Christmas Trees are still to be paid.

Headmaster’s Funding Requests

Playground Development Repainting front playground: An idea for a new design of a river, incorporating each class animal was agreed. To keep the costs down volunteers could be asked to help paint on either a weekend or possibly over May half term. Consideration will need to be given on the preparation and cleaning of the area before painting. ACTION: Elaine agreed to ask the company currently repainting the tennis courts to survey and possibly quote for preparing the area.

Living Walls: It was agreed that the air quality in the playground was a concern due to the proximity of the main road. Elaine advised that planting certain trees and plants can make a big difference. This would be an expensive project and could need planning permission, however, it was still agreed to be considered and investigated. There is a possibility of assistance from the Woodland Trust as they offer free trees for schools ACTION: Elaine offered to get advice from Nigel Chambers, who is involved with Culvery Woods.

Astro Turf for Kingfisher Garden: Warrick advised that the garden is only partially used during the year due to bad weather making it an unsuitable, muddy area. It was thought Astro Turf would give the opportunity to have more playground space all year round, with the possibility of access to Dragonfly play area, giving pupils more space at the back of the school away from the pollution of the main road. One quote for half the area was £4.5k. Elaine offered some Astro Turf that had been left over from a garden project, which was gratefully accepted. Suggestion was made to reapply to Pensford Social Welfare and The Community Trust for grants to assist with the refurbishment of the playground areas. As the PTA have recently gained funds for the Library it was thought best that the applications came directly from the school. ACTIONS: Elaine to find out what ground preparation is required. Warrick to look into applying for grants.

Forest School: Warrick would like the pupils to have more regular sessions at Forest School. Looking at once a term for each class. Cost estimation of around £2,250 per year. It was asked if the PTA would consider subsidising part of the cost.

Forthcoming events

  • April  - Fun Run, 30 April
  • May - End of Term Cake Sale, 26 May
  • Jul - End of Year Party, tbc
  • Warrick advised that he would like to hold an Easter Fair on the last week of term. This will be organised by the school with pupils’ involvement. PTA have agreed to help by running the tea and cake stall.

Fun Run: Raffle prize collection is doing well. Main concern is volunteers to help on the day. Sarah noted that she would be unable to help on the day, although willing to assist with any preparation work. A suggestion was made to approach parents who may not be aware through social media and would possibly be willing to help. Also to ask other family members. Burgers now need to be ordered. The Minors Coffee Shop are assisting with the sourcing of bacon. Onions and coleslaw will also be available as accompaniments, which will be prepared by Lisa’s husband ACTIONS: Lisa to enquire about price and order burgers. Vic to approach and ask possible volunteers.

Other future dates/events

Year 6 End of Year Celebration – No further information to discuss. ACTION: Kirsty to set up communication group with Year 6 parents to discuss ideas.

Discussions on further additional events will continue after the Fun Run event.

PTPSA Success

No new successes to report.

Any other business

Gazebo Purchase – It was noted that the possible donation from the parish magazine will not be happening on this occasion, the next discussions for donations will be held in November. It was agreed to continue to purchase a gazebo from PTA funds. Kirsty gave information about the gazebo that Preschool had recently purchased but it was agreed that the PTA would benefit from something larger. ACTION: Kirsty to look into the cost of larger gazebos on the market.

Date and location of next meeting TBC